Losing weight is a common goal for men and women of all ages. Reaching those weight loss goals can be challenging, however, and losing weight in a healthy way can be even more difficult. Your doctor can help you lose weight in a healthy way that meets your specific needs.
Being overweight or obese negatively affects your health.
If you are overweight or obese, you may need to lose weight. People who are overweight or obese are at a higher risk for health problems such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, stroke, certain types of cancer, and osteoporosis.
The first things you should do when trying to lose weight is talk to your primary care doctor. You’ll find out whether there are other health issues which could affect your weight loss plans. Your doctor can help you set realistic weight loss goals and make the appropriate lifestyle changes. Exercise and a healthy diet along with guidance from your primary care physician can help you reach a healthy weight.
Sometimes choosing healthier foods, eating fewer calories, and exercising might not be enough, though. Your doctor can help determine if medication or surgeries are right for you.
How can weight loss be unhealthy?
The risk for certain health problems goes down once you enter the healthy weight range, but it’s important to lose weight in a healthy way. Some people may lose too much weight too quickly, or try to lose weight through radical diets, unapproved “diet pills”, or other methods that do not lend themselves to healthy weight loss.
Here are a few things to keep in mind for healthy weight loss.
- Start by setting realistic weight loss goals.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that overweight or obese adults try to lose between 5 to 10 percent of their overall body weight over the course of 6 months.
- Reducing calories can help you lose weight, but it’s important that you still get the calories and nutrients you need to stay healthy. Current research suggests that the kind of food you eat may be as important for weight loss as the amount.
- Weight loss isn’t all about food. Physical activity is necessary for healthy weight loss.
- A healthy weight is different for different people. Your body mass index (BMI) can help determine the appropriate range for a healthy weight.
- Focus on a healthy lifestyle rather than simply losing weight. Crash dieting can produce short-term results, but a healthy lifestyle can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- You should talk to your doctor before trying to lose weight.
Your doctor can help you reach your weight loss goals.
There is a lot of information about dieting and weight loss online. Some of it is good, and some of it is bad. Even the good information might not apply to you and your body’s needs, however. Talking to your doctor about weight loss can help you reach your weight loss goals in a way that’s healthy and right for you.
Your doctor can help you make decisions that promote good health and wellness. Even a small amount of weight loss can have great health benefits. It’s important to talk to your doctor before trying to lose weight. Schedule an appointment with a doctor in the MANA network today!