Dedicated Breast MRI is the most sensitive breast imaging test available. When used with conventional mammography, breast MRI can provide valuable information for the detection and characterization of breast disease.
Breast MRI is ideal for a wide range of indications in breast disease management including
screening for cancer in high-risk women.
Breast MRI has been known to detect small breast cancers that cannot be seen by mammography. MRI provides an excellent way to image dense breast tissue, which can sometimes make it difficult to see through on mammograms.
- Screen for cancer for women that are at high risk for developing breast cancer
- Screen for cancer in women who have had breast cancer
- Evaluate implant integrity and detect cancer in women with breast augmentation
- Detect cancer that cannot be seen with conventional imaging
- Characterize lesions
- Determine the extent of cancer
- Monitor cancer therapy
- Evaluate patients with positive surgical margins for residual cancer
Dedicated Breast MRI
The Breast Center is one of the few breast centers in the nation to offer breast MRI within the center. We employ an Aurora breast MRI, which is the only MR instrument manufactured specifically for breast imaging. All of the components of the Aurora MRI are optimized for breast imaging. The MRI machines typically used in hospitals are designed for whole-body applications and are altered to do breast imaging.
In this video, Dr. Steven Harms discusses Breast MRI:
Dr. Steven Harms, a world-renowned MRI expert, developed the dedicated Breast MRI. An Arkansas native, he joined The Breast Center in 2004. Dr. Harms’ expertise attracts patients and physicians from around the world to seek care and training at The Breast Center. Although he retired from full-time practice in 2020, Dr. Harms remains on staff as an advisor.
Breast MRI facts:
- Most sensitive screening for breast cancer
- No x-ray radiation
- Does not require breast compression
- Does require the injection of a small amount of clear contrast medication
- Uniquely suited for a number of indications that may be limited with mammography
More on Breast MRI
- Preparing for your Breast MRI Exam
- Breast MRI FAQ’s
- Breast MRI Guided Biopsies
- Need help paying for Breast MRI? Financial Resources
- Medication Guide for Dotarem
Request an Appointment
To learn more about Breast MRI or to schedule a Breast MRI appointment, please call (866) 718-6266.