Screening and Diagnostic Mammograms are offered at our centers in Fayetteville and Bentonville.
Mammography can detect smaller cancers than those detected during examination by a physician or nurse. Mammography is a special x-ray of the breast tissue. It allows radiologists to see the internal structure of the breasts and can reveal abnormal growths at their earliest stages. The Breast Center was the first in Northwest Arkansas to offer Digital Mammography with Computer Aided Detection and now offers Breast Tomosynthesis, or 3D Mammography.
- Screening mammograms can find breast cancer early, before there are symptoms.
- Most cancers found in their earliest stages are curable.
- Ninety-six percent of women treated for early stage breast cancer are disease-free five years after diagnosis.
At The Breast Center, we offer screening mammograms and diagnostic mammograms as well as a comprehensive array of diagnostic breast services and advanced screening options.
A screening mammogram is recommended for every woman once a year beginning at age 40. Screening mammograms are covered by most insurance plans under wellness benefits.
A screening mammogram is performed only when there are no problems. If you have a problem*, a screening mammogram is not adequate to determine if it is serious or not.
* If you have a problem such as a new lump, nipple discharge, discoloration, focal pain that has not been studied before, or a lump that is changing, you may need a diagnostic mammogram instead of a screening mammogram. A diagnostic mammogram focuses on the problem that has been identified. An ultrasound may also be needed. The breast imaging physician views the images while you are at the clinic and will report the results before you leave.
You must first consult your doctor about the problem as he/she may want to examine you before any images are taken. You must have a doctor’s order for a diagnostic mammogram.
Another reason for a diagnostic mammogram is if the radiologist finds something different in your screening mammogram or decides to “follow” a finding over several months. For this you do not need an order from your physician. Most insurance companies cover the cost of a diagnostic exam, but you may have to pay toward the deductible before insurance will pay.
Accredited in Mammography, Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
The Breast Center of Northwest Arkansas, a MANA Clinic, is Accredited in Mammography by the American College of Radiology and as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
Screening & Diagnostic Services
- Mammography/Breast Imaging
- Breast MRI
- Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound Screening
- 3D Mammography
- Risk Assessment & Personalized Care Plan
- Genetic Testing
- Breast Biopsy
- Breast Ultrasound
- Library & Resources
Request an Appointment & Patient Portal
Click here to schedule your mammogram using our online form or call (479) 442-6266 to schedule your screening mammogram at our Fayetteville or Bentonville Center.
Breast Center Patient Portal – Login to view your mammogram report. You should have received a secure email with this information when your mammogram report is ready. If you have any issues, please contact 479-442-6266.
Physicians & Providers
- Danna F. Grear, MD
- Kevin L . Pope, MD
- Steven E. Harms, MD
- Kelly A. Pierce, MD
- Britton B. Lott, MD
- Katherine E. Rankin, DO
Need assistance paying for your Mammogram? Please see our Financial Resources page.