The MANA Charitable Board is pleased to offer the Murray T. Harris Scholarship for students in allied health programs in Washington and Benton Counties of Arkansas each year. Three scholarships in the amount of $1000 are awarded in July.
The Murray T. Harris Scholarship recipients for the 2017 2018 Academic year are Veronica Larios, Alison Suman, and Kristin Jones.
The Scholarship focuses on professions within the healthcare sector that are currently underserved, to help attract qualified candidates in these fields. Allied health programs include, but are not limited to radiology technology, clinical laboratory science, nursing, and respiratory therapy. The scholarship is intended to cover books, fees and similar expenses for students in qualified educational programs.
The Grantmaking Committee at the Arkansas Community Foundation will evaluate all applicants. In order to qualify for a scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Accepted or currently enrolled in an accredited allied health program including radiology technologist, clinical laboratory scientist, nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy;
- Be a resident of Washington or Benton County in Arkansas, or enrolled in an allied health program in Washington or Benton County in Arkansas;
- Demonstrated past academic achievement;
- Provide two confidential letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a college professor or advisor on official school letterhead;
- Demonstrate personal motivation for excellence in both character and academic achievement. Personal integrity, as exemplified by leadership, community involvement, and concern for others, will be considered;
- Possess a desire to practice in Washington or Benton County in Arkansas;
- Candidate may be called for a personal interview;
- Under certain circumstances including, but not limited to early withdrawal, scholarship money may be forfeited;
- Ensure that the online scholarship application has been completed by the deadline.
The MANA Charitable Fund does not discriminate in its policies on the basis of race, color, nationality, ethnic origin, sex or religious belief. Payment of funds is conditional upon documentation of entry and good standing in an accredited program. Financial need will not be the primary consideration but may be a factor in the final selection process. Completion of an application does not guarantee the receipt of a scholarship. Preference may be given to previous Murray T. Harris Scholarship awardees.
How do I apply?
The application for 2018 – 2019 academic year is now closed. The application for the 2019-2020 academic year will be available January 2, 2019 through June 1, 2019. Scholarship award recipients are announced in July.
To apply, visit the Arkansas Community Foundation website
- Applicants will need to “Create an Account” on the online application portal
- Search for or select the Murray T. Harris Scholarship.
- Complete the application online and submit the required documents before June 1st.