Recreational swimming, swim classes and Dive-In Movie nights are offered at Fayetteville’s Wilson Park Pool starting June 6th.
The City of Fayetteville Parks and Recreation Department has partnered with the MANA Northwest Arkansas Pediatric Clinic to encourage children to BE ACTIVE! The pediatric doctors will be providing children a prescription to BE ACTIVE! The prescription includes information of Fayetteville Parks and Recreation’s parks, trails and programs offered this summer.
There are several reasons why the RX – BE ACTIVE! partnership between Fayetteville Parks and Recreation and the MANA Northwest Arkansas Pediatric Clinic is so important to our community:
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children to be physically active for at least 60 minutes a day.
- Exposure to nature can reduce stress levels by as much as 28 percent in children.
- Outdoor exercise improves mental and physical well-being more so than indoor activity.
- Even a 20-minute walk in nature can help children with ADHD concentrate better.
- Studies have found that children who spend more time outdoors are less likely to be overweight by 27 to 47 percent.
- Within Fayetteville’s School District, an average of 28 percent of the children are overweight or obese (range of 19.09 to 40.14%).
The City of Fayetteville provides over 4,000 acres of park land including 32 parks, 13 nature areas and 42 miles of hard and soft surface trails. All of these attributes are provided free just for you. It is important that our children are encouraged to value being outdoors and being active so they are more likely to be a healthy adult and enjoy life to its fullest.
Soccer programs are offered by Fayetteville Parks & Rec in the spring and fall.
Recreational programs offered by Parks and Recreation include the Wilson Park Swimming Pool and Dive-In Movie, Summer BE ACTIVE! Camps including outdoor adventure, soccer, tennis, drama, and camp Wilson. The free Gulley Park Summer Concert Series will be starting on May 29th with six talented bands that you do not want to miss. It’s all here for you in Fayetteville. It’s all about building a healthy community with the assistance of the MANA Northwest Arkansas Pediatric Clinic and Fayetteville Parks and Recreation. Get outside and BE ACTIVE!
Learn more about the recreational programs
Is your family getting out to enjoy the city’s parks, trails and summer programs? Tag your photos #rxbeactive to share!