The Breast Center has sponsored a pavilion at the new WRMC Cancer Support Home. Washington Regional Medical System dedicated its new J.B. Hunt Transport Services Cancer Support Home in Fayetteville last month, providing no-cost services to cancer patients regardless of where in Northwest Arkansas they receive care.
“At The Breast Center, our doctors and staff hear the concerns of our newly diagnosed patients as we are typically the first providers involved with their breast cancer diagnosis,” explains Dr. Danna Grear, co-founder of The Breast Center, A MANA Clinic. “Over the years the Cancer Support Home has been an incredible resource for education, support, housing, and much more for patients in our community,” she added. “When approached about sponsorship for the new facility, we did not hesitate.”
The Breast Center has supported the Cancer Support Home in Fayetteville for many years. The Center, formally located in a historic white house behind UAMS, has provided services to cancer patients since 1995. Through the years the center was supported by the Cancer Challenge, Susan G. Komen Ozark, as well as private donations and their services, staff, and volunteers, outgrew the historic home.
Cancer Support Home services
The Cancer Support Home offers services to those on a cancer journey. The new facility was designed especially with patients and their families in mind. Since the Home is funded by grants and by individual and corporate donors, the services are given at no cost to the individuals served.
Some of the services provided:
- Overnight lodging for those traveling into Northwest Arkansas for cancer-related medical appointments, and their support companions. Eight fully furnished rooms are available, each accommodating two guests. All guests have access to full kitchens, laundry rooms, private bathrooms, and shared spaces like a sun porch and a great room. There are also outdoor spaces, including the new pavilion donated by the Breast Center. Providing these spaces for people traveling into the area for their healthcare reduces stress at a time when patients and families face may face many challenges.
- Breast and women’s health navigators provide direct support and comfort to patients and their families. A diagnosis of breast cancer can feel overwhelming and individuals may need help and support to find the resources they need. The navigators work with the doctors at The Breast Center and cancer treatment facilities to help facilitate the best care for patients. They help patients learn about the treatment options, can help coordinate referrals, and provide emotional support during this difficult time.
- Early detection cancer screenings can make the difference between an excellent outcome and a less successful experience. Free cancer screenings are offered through the Cancer Support Home by partnering with other local health centers like The Breast Center to provide screenings at convenient locations throughout the community. Screenings for breast cancer are provided free of charge. When follow-up diagnostic testing is required, the Cancer Support Home staff will assist in connecting clients to community health care resources.
- The wig and prosthesis boutique carries wigs, hats, scarves, and post-mastectomy supplies such as bras and breast forms that can be hard to find. The opportunity to receive these tools from trained, caring staff at no cost can make a big difference to patients’ quality of life as they move through cancer treatment and recovery.
- The financial costs of cancer treatment can also be overwhelming. Please fill out a Cancer Help Fund Application if you are in need of financial assistance.
- Support groups can make a big difference. The Cancer Support Home offers several different support groups for cancer survivors (both during and post-treatment), family members, and caregivers. For more information call 479.404.2162 or email email@example.com.
Hope and comfort
The community of Northwest Arkansas is excited to pull together for this very worthwhile cause, and The Breast Center, a MANA Clinic, is excited to continue to support the Cancer Support Home in their beautiful new facility.