The first Friday in February is Wear Red Day. Heart disease is the #1 killer in America, and wearing red is a festive way to kick off Heart Health Month and remind people that heart health depends on us.
Here are ten small acts of self-care to practice today:
- This year’s Hearth Health Month theme is “Reclaim Your Rhythm.” Start with a personal dance party during your coffee break!
- Pick spices instead of salt when you choose your lunch today.
- Use #WearRedDay, #HeartMonth and #GoRedforWomen in your social media posts today.
- Set a reminder to check your blood pressure regularly.
- Treat yourself to a 10-minute walk.
- Don’t drink your calories. Swap out a sugary drink for water once today.
- Enjoy nuts for a snack in place of your usual chips or cookies.
- Plan a stress-reducing activity for this evening. Whether it’s yoga, meditation, or a warm bath, intentionally reducing stress with calming activities can make a difference.
- Try out one of the American Heart Association’s Heart-check Certified Recipes.
- Go to bed early enough to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep before your alarm goes off in the morning.